slogan box
The Institute Objectives Infrastructure Focus Area Location Map
Good Governance Disaster Management Management Studies Centre for Gender Studies Centre for Urban Developmant Centre for Public Ethics
Administration & Management IT & Its Applications Social Service Delivery Women & Gender Issues OB & Management Devevelopment Disaster Management Urban Management & Development Rural Management ToT & Design MoT Globlisation Trade HR & Rights to Information Entry Level Training Miscellaneous
Prashasnika Newsletter
sep  


 

BACKGROUND 

Rajasthan (Rajputana State) is the result of a long process of political unification initiated in 1948. The process of integration that started from 17th March 1948 lasted till 1 November 1956. The State was formed as a result of merger of the erstwhile 19 princely states and 2 chiefships on 30th March 1949. The administration of Covenanting States was taken over by the new State on  7th April 1949. Later on Matsya was also integrated in Rajasthan on 15th May 1949. The State took a new shape on 1st November 1956 under the States Reorganization Act, 1956 (Act No. 37 of 1956).

INTEGRATION OF CIVIL SERVICES AFTER INDEPENDENCE

 Consequent upon the emergence of the State of Rajasthan in the year 1949, the foremost task which came up before administration was to introduce a unified administrative system in the new State. This task was completed in various stages, viz., formation of committees to formulate proposals for integrated set up of each department, appointment of personnel on ad hoc basis in the integrated set up pending final selection, making of rules for selection of personnel for permanent absorption in various services and integrated set up of departments. The principles and procedures to be observed in carrying on this programme were laid down in notification dated the 28th May 1949 for the guidance of various departmental reorganization committees constituted to submit proposals to the Integration Department. The process of re-organizing the services and of fitting Government Servants of the Covenanting States into different services and cadres was expedited. The recommendations of these committees were further examined by the Integration Department and orders were issued for the integrated set up of each department during the period from September 1949 to June 1950. In the second stage Government decided to review the existing strength of ministerial staff particularly to examine the possibility of reduction of staff if possible compatible with the running of departments efficiently and economically. Till the end of June, 1950, appointments to posts in integrated set up were made on ad hoc basis after examining the general suitability of officers selected for appointments to the posts. Then, substantive appointments were made in the integrated services of Rajasthan.

INTEGRATION OF CIVIL SERVICES AFTER INDEPENDENCE

The task of completing the process of integration of services and the reorganization of various departments was completed in stages. Government appointed a Committee for evolving scales of pay for similar kinds of establishments in different departments, vide, Notification No 112/GDIC dated 10th May 1949, consisting of the Chief Secretary and the Accountant General, Jaipur as Member Secretary. The committee recommended unified pay scales for all the services. As a result, Government of Rajasthan notified Rajasthan Civil Services (Unification of Pay Scales) Rules, 1950 and the unified pay scales for all the services were introduced in Rajasthan with effect from 1 April 1950.

CONSTITUTION OF CIVIL SERVICES

 In May 1950, in order to review the progress made in the working of the departments, a questionnaire was addressed to all the Heads of Departments asking the information in regard to the-

 (i)                 Temporary hands engaged n various departments and

(ii)              Permanent Government employees appointed in temporary departments, with lien n their parent departments.

The information was scrutinized in the Integration Department with a view to see whether temporary personnel could be replaced by surplus hands. Thus the organization of integrated set up of various departments was practically completed. In 1950, three main services were constituted: Rajasthan Administrative Service (RAS), Rajasthan Police Service (RPS) and Rajasthan Judicial Service (RJS). The cadres of the services were fixed on the basis of the strength laid down in Integration Orders with the usual additions for leave, training and deputation. 

Selection boards were set up for the selection of officers to the 3 main state services, viz., RAS, RPS and RJS.  In accordance with the scheme for the extension of the Indian Administrative Service and Indian Police Service to Part-B States, the Selection Boards for RAS and RPS also made preliminary selection of officers to be produced before the Special Recruitment Board of the Union Public Service Commission for screening State Officers to the IAS and IPS.  The process of re-organizing the services and of fitting Government Servants of the Covenanting States into different services and cadres was expedited. Rules lying down the procedure for the selection and fixation of Government Servants for each service and Department were issued. The Selection Boards interviewed the officers, studied their records of service, judged their suitability for appointment to the services and arranged them in the order of seniority, taking into consideration particulars of their previous service, qualifications and other relevant factors. On the basis of the selections thus made by the different Selection Boards, substantive appointments were made for various services and Departments. In conformity with the practice in Part-A States the posts of Secretaries to Government were made “tenure posts” for a period of 4 years.   

Cadres of the Services were fixed on the bass of the strength laid down in integration rules with the usual additions for leave, training and deputation.  To begin with, cadre strength of Rajasthan Administrative Service and Rajasthan Police Service was determined and a notification was published in Rajasthan Rajpatra, Part-I, Vol. 2, No. 43 dated 12 August 1950. Later, sanctioned cadre of these State Services was fixed as under:

S.No.

State Services

Sanctioned Cadre

1.

Rajasthan Administrative Service

Rajasthan Rajpatra, Part-I, Vol.5, No. 108 dated 26-10-1953

550

2.

Rajasthan Police Service as on 27-1-1954

Rajasthan Rajpatra, Part-I, Vol.5, No. 144 dated 27-1-1954

170

3.

Rajasthan Judicial Service as on 23-8-1950

Rajasthan Rajpatra, Part-I, Vol.2, No. 47 dated 23-8-1950

160

 The General Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules were drawn up and issued in November 1950. These statutory rules provided for the classification of Government Servants and their control and regulated the procedure of appeals by Government Servants against orders punishing them. The Rajasthan Service Rules regulating the conditions of service of Government Servants were framed as fundamental rules in 1951. These comprehensive rules dealt with the conditions of service, pay, leave, foreign service, maintenance of service records, pensions etc. of Government employees.

SERVICE RULES FOR CIVIL SERVICES

 

A new change was brought about the position of the public services by Article 309 of the Constitution of India which provided that, subject to the provision of this Constitution, Acts of proper legislature may regulate the recruitment and conditions of services of persons appointed to public services and post in connection with affairs of the Union or in State. Proviso to Article 309 of the Constitution of India empowers the President of India or Governor of a State, as the case may be,  to make rules regulating the recruitment and conditions of service of persons appointed to services and posts until the parliament or State Legislature makes appropriate law in this behalf. In exercise powers conferred on the Governor under the proviso to Article 309 of the Constitution, the Government of Rajasthan framed Rules regulating recruitment to various services and posts in Rajasthan since 1954.

 

To begin with, service rules for 9 services were framed: Rajasthan Administrative Service, Rajasthan Police Service, Rajasthan Accounts Service, Rajasthan Secretariat Service, Rajasthan Inspectors of Registration and Stamps Service, Rajasthan Service of Engineers (B&R Branch) Service, Rajasthan Service of Engineers (Electrical and Mechanical Branch) Service, Rajasthan Service of Engineers and Research Officers (Irrigation Branch) Service and Rajasthan Cooperative Service.

 NEED FOR AN INSTITUTE FOR CIVIL SERVICE TRAINING

 On 1 September 1952, 17 officers were appointed as probationers to the Rajasthan Administrative Service. They were originally either Assistant Secretaries or holding similar posts where they had no Revenue or Criminal experience. These officers completed their training and were posted as Extra Magistrates, because it was considered necessary to give them further practical experience as Extra Magistrate instead of posting them directly as Sub-Divisional Magistrates.  The first two batches of the Rajasthan Administrative Service direct recruits were sent to Officer’s Training School, Uttar Pradesh, Allahabad (Set up in 1951 now known as Uttaranchal Academy of Administration & Management, Nainital-Uttarakhand) for their training with the provincial civil service and Indian Administrative Service Officers of that state as the requisite climate and infra structure for initiating the newly selected officers through open competition were not available in Rajasthan. The need for the training of the Rajasthan Administrative Service Officers was felt for the first time when the system of direct recruitment to this service was introduced for the first time in the year 1954. Therefore, Government of Rajasthan decided to establish an apex level training establishment of its own in the State. A Committee consisting of Shri T.N.Chaturvedi, Secretary to the Chief Minister and Shri Mohan Mukerji, Special Secretary to Government, Appointments Department visited the Officers’ Training School, Allahabad and met the Principal and Vice Principal. The Committee submitted a report containing scope of work, course content and staff requirements to Government which was accepted. The Committee visited Jodhpur and discovered a palatial building which was available initially on rent but was open for sale at later stage. 

 

ESTABLISHMENT OF RAJASTHAN ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE OFFICERS’ TRAINING SCHOOL

As a result, Rajasthan Administrative Service Officers’ Training School came into existence on 14 November 1957 in Jodhpur for training of members of newly constituted Rajasthan Administrative Service. The School started functioning in building of the Residency. The School was placed under a Principal who was taken from Indian Administrative Service in the senior grade with special pay of Rs. 250 per month. Shri Hetu Dan Ujwal was first Principal of the School. There was a post of Rajasthan Administrative Service officer who was posted as Lecturer in Planning and Development. Faculty position at the time of establishment of the School in 1957 was as under:

S.No.

Name of Faculty

Designation

1.

Shri Hetudan Ujwal, IAS (Rtd.)

Principal, Rajasthan Administrative Service Officers’ Training School.

2.

Shri Yashodev Sharma

Lecturer in Planning & Development

3.

Shr Laxmi Narayan Chhangani

Part-time Lecturer

4.

Shri Amrit Raj Mehta

Part-time Lecturer

5.

Shri Maharattan

T.O. for Treasury Work

The post of Lecturer in Planning & Development was raised to that of a Vice Principal and a special pay of Rs. 100 per month was added in March 1960. Shri Vishnu Dutt Sharma (IAS-1954) became first Vice Principal of the School.  There were part-time Lecturers in Criminal Law, Civil Law, Treasury, Accounts, Budget and Service Rules, Taxation Laws and current Economic Affairs.  In January 1961, the system of part-time lectures was abolished and besides the Principal and Vice Principal, 2 more whole-time lecturers (1) in Law and (2) in Economics, Public Finance & Service Rules were added. It was also added that the Treasury Officer and Deputy Commissioner, Excise and Taxation, Jodhpur were to be invited for 6 lectures each per session to cover practical aspect of the subject and were to be paid honorarium @ of Rs. 15 per lecture. The post of Physical Training Instructor was provided on a whole time basis in the School.

 FIRST FOUNDATION COURSE AT RAJASTHAN ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE OFFICERS’ TRAINING SCHOOL

Meanwhile Government introduced a system of Direct Recruitment in various civil services. A combined competitive examination for direct recruitment to the Rajasthan Administrative Service and other State Services was held in 1955 through Rajasthan Public Service Commission, Ajmer and on the basis of result, appointments were made. 12 RAS and 25 in RPS were selected. That time there was no training school in Rajasthan. Hence, all newly selected officers joined their duty in Secretariat and then they reported for their training on 1 September 1955 in Officers’ Training School, U.P. Allahabad. The school conducted VII Combined Course in 1955-56 for 42 U.P. and Rajasthan PCS and IAS probationers officers. That time the school was headed by Principal S.H. Zaheer, ICS. Shri R.K.Trivedi, IAS was Vice Principal. Shri A.N. Jha was Chief Secretary to Government, Uttar Pradesh. The course concluded in March 1956. All 12 officers were divided in two batches. 4 were posted in Excise and Tax Department and remaining 8 were sent for magisterial training.

First Foundation Training Course for 18 Direct Recruits to the Rajasthan Administrative Service was organized from 14 November 1957 to 30 June 1958 in newly established RAS Officers’ Training School. First Course for 15 Emergency Recruits to the Rajasthan Administrative Service was organized from 1 July 1957 to 31 August 1958. It was 1959, when Institutional and District Training of Indian Administrative Service (Rajasthan Cadre) was started for the first time in the Institute. First Course for 17 Indian Administrative Service Probationers was conducted from 1 September 1959 to 10 October 1959 for 6 weeks. A separate training institute known as Rajasthan Accounts Training School was already functioning for imparting training to the Rajasthan Accounts Service and Accountants. Principal, OTS became Registrar (Departmental Examinations) in 1959.

 OFFICERS’ TRAINING SCHOOL (OTS)

Officers’ Training School till 20 February 1959 was known as the Rajasthan Administrative Service Officers’ Training School since the training till time was imparted to Rajasthan Administrative Service probationers only. Thereafter, it was known as Officers’ Training School (OTS) and the Indian Administrative Service probationers also received lectures on subjects such as revenue laws of the state, Rajasthan finance and service rules and regulations, policy and development with special reference to Rajasthan and Rajasthan’s history, language and culture. The OTS also imparted training to the officers already in the service.

In January 1961, the Government of Rajasthan constituted a Committee to study and review  the training programmes of all its services and recommend various measures to ensure that there programmes are properly coordinated, that they are improved in content and are modified wherever necessary to bring them in conformity with the existing requirements of the state and local administration. Shri B. Mehta, the then Chef Secretary to Government, Rajasthan was made chairman of the Committee. The Committee submitted its report to the Government on 30 April 1963. Rajasthan Accounts Training School was merged with the Officers’ Training School, Jodhpur in September 1961. Foundation Training Course was started for all Government Servants on their first appointment. Following the recommendations of State Committee on Training, a State Training Advisory Committee was also constituted in 1962 for guidance and coordinating training programmes for various services.

OFFICERS’ TRAINING SCHOOL (OTS)-FROM JODHPUR TO JAIPUR

When Jodhpur proved unsuitable location for the School, the Officers’ Training School was shifted from Jodhpur to Jaipur in 1963 mainly because of the efforts of late Shri B. Mehta, the then Chef Secretary, Rajasthan.  Some years later the School building of Jodhpur was taken over by the newly started University of Jodhpur (Now renamed as Jai Narayan Vyas University, Jodhpur).

The School started functioning in Jaipur in Peeramal Hotel in Bani Park from 15 January 1963. Initial vision of creating a regional training facility for administrative cadres of the North Zone States led to selection of present site of the Institute spread over 70 acres, having beautiful back drop of a hill feature. After 3 years. OTS was shifted in new building known as Patel Bhawan in Malviya Nagar. Shri Mohan Lal Sukhadia, the then Chief Minster, Rajasthan inaugurated the newly constructed Patel Bhawan on 16 October 1966. Thus, the Officers’ Training School grew from strength to strength and soon blossomed into a well reputed institute of leaning. The Commercial Taxes School was merged in the School in the same year. The Principal, Officers’ Training School worked as the Director of Training for the State during 1967-68. Proposals to have coordinated training programme in each department through liaison officers were mooted out for consideration. By that time, the School earned a national reputation and even attracted Ford Foundation for augmenting library, teaching and research faculties and also for helping in faculty development. Most of the faculty members including Directors were sent for study abroad. What they saw abroad broadened their vision, raised their commitment and strengthened their determination to develop the School.

HARISH CHANDRA MATHUR STATE INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION (HCM SIPA)

In 1969, Officers’ Training School (OTS) was rechristened as Harish Chandra Mathur State Institute of Public Administration. Shri Harish Chandra Mathur    (22 June 1904-12 June 1968) was a distinguished administrator and parliamentarian from Rajasthan. The Principal became Director and was given supervisory responsibility for all staff training arrangements in the various departments. The training of accounts services became one of the regular functions of the Institute. Considerable funds were provided by the State Government for SIPA building, hostel and staff quarters. The Ford Foundation provided assistance to build a fine library and set up a sound amplifying system for the conference hall. A bungalow built for their American expert later became the guest house. The commonly used name in official circles was SIPA-government car drivers; scooter and rickshaw walas still understand OTS more easily.

By 1975, the SIPA had grown into one of the best staff training institutes in the states. Its facilities began to be utilized occasionally for all India and even for international training course, the participants to the latter living in the conveniently near Clark Amer Hotel.  The year 1979 saw holding of all India training courses sponsored by Training Division, Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India and other ministries of Central Government. The Subordinate Accounts Training School was also merged in the Institute.

THE FLOOD HAVOCK

 The unprecedented floods of 19 July 1981 heavily damaged the old HCM SIPA building popularly known as the OTS. Heavy rush of water caused by 33 inches rainfall in 72 hours and choking of two drain pipes led to overtopping of water at Malviya Regional Engineering College (now MNIT) crossing and the road breached. Consequent release of water led to pulling of sand from underneath the foundations by retrogression and the building just collapsed. Thus, a major portion of the building had collapsed and deep ravines were created all around the building. The width of ravines varied from 100 ft. to 300 ft. and depth from 50 ft. to 70 ft. Fortunately it was a Sunday and no classes were running in the Institute, and thus no causality occurred. The Institute was devastated on that fateful Sunday.

 The visit of Smt. Indira Gandhi, the Prime Minister of India and other VIPs on            28 August 2013 gave assurance of appropriate help. The Prime Minister had made an appreciation reference about the Institute in the North Zone meeting held at Srinagar few years ago and was distressed to see the damage. Restoration work in the damaged building began in November 1981. For rebuilding, the Institute’s new building suitable to the present requirements had to be constructed at the earliest. The Government of Rajasthan conveyed a sanction of Rs. 1.00 crore received from Government of India for construction of a new building and some other ancillary works which were damaged during the floods.

CONSTRUCTION OF NEW BUILDING-NEHRU BHAWAN

The foundation stone laying ceremony was performed by the Chief Minister of Rajasthan, Shiv Charan Mathur on 14 November 1981.  The construction work was entrusted to the Rajasthan State Bridges and Construction Corporation. Visits were made to Management Devepleted the building costing about Rs. 78 lacs in a record time of 18 months. The actual construction work at site started in February 1982. 1,000 Tonnes Cement and 222 Tones Steel were consumed in the construction work. Continual running of the Institution except for an interruption of a few weeks the reclaiming whatever was left behind of the old building and constructing a new magnificent building in record time of only 18 month were nothing but human marvels and can be attributed due to efforts of Shri M.L.Mehta, the then Director of the Institute and his team.   The newly constructed building known as Nehru Bhawan was inaugurated by Shri Zail Singh, the then President of India on 19 August 1983. Meanwhile, HCM SIPA celebrated Silver Jubilee in the year 1982.

In 1982, HCM SIPA held orientation training programmes for Zila Pramukhs and Pradhans. Impressed by the efforts of the Institute, the Department of Rural Development handed over their State Institute of Community Development and Panchayati Raj (SICDPR), Udaipur to the HCM SIPA.This became possible due to vision of Shri Anil Bordia, the then Development Commissioner and Shri Sheesh Ram Ola, Panchayati Raj Minster. With a beautiful Campus, it became Udaipur Campus of the HCM SIPA on its reorganization from 1 December 1982. 

HARISH CHANDRA MATHUR RAJASTHAN STATE INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION (HCM RIPA)

Government of Rajasthan added “Rajasthan” before the word “State” in the name of the Institute in April 1983. Thus, HCM SIPA became HCM RIPA (Harish Chandra Mathur Rajasthan State Institute of Public Administration). Today, the HCM Rajasthan State Institute of Public Administration (HCM RIPA) is an apex level state administrative training institution of the Government of Rajasthan for training of civil servants. HCM RIPA has now emerged as one of the front-ranking training establishments in India and abroad.

HCM RIPA has a spread-out green campus, located in the heart of Jaipur City on the Jawaharlal Nehru Marg that links the Jaipur Airport with the City Centre. With a perfect picture of serenity, this is an ideal place for the pursuit of excellence.

In order to reduce pressure on the Institute at Jaipur, four regional centres for training of Junior Accountants were sanctioned from 1 April 1983 at Kota, Jodhpur, Bikaner and Udaipur. These Centres gradually grew as Regional Training Centres of the HCM Rajasthan State Institute of Public Administration, Jaipur.

 

 pyright @ HCM RIPA - 2006. All rights reserved.